Sunday, September 2, 2012

31 Day Challenge - Day 2: Orange



I had a much easier time with this mani than I did with yesterday's challenge. Don't you just love it when you have an idea in your head, and it turns out looking exactly as you had planned it to look? Yeah, pretty awesome feeling.

This is a "jelly sandwich" technique, where you literally sandwich a glitter polish between an opaque polish as a base and a jelly polish on top. The effect it creates is one where the glitter looks suspended under a gelatin surface. I used Essence - Wake Up! for the base colour, a mid-tone bright orange creme which was opaque in pretty much 1 coat, but I used 2 here just for full opacity.

To that, I then added a coat of a Color Club polish which I don't know the name of since I purchased it in a duo set and those never seem to have the names on them. It's very much along the lines of OPI - Rainbow Connection although in this one, all the glitter pieces are the same size. This glitter was a little difficult to work with. Although a lot of glitter was distributed on the nail in one swipe, the glitters tended to bunch up together as you stroked the brush on the nail creating two edges of glitters on each side of the brush. I had to push around and place the glitters a fair amount to redistribute them evenly across the entire nail bed. If anyone knows the name of this polish, please post it in the comments below!

I then topped it all off with OPI - Y'All Come Back Ya Here? from the Spring 2011 Texas Collection. It's a jelly polish, or what OPI likes to call them "sorbet" polishes, which lends a stained glass-type effect to the nails. This is two coats, and the polish gives a translucent, stained look without being streaky or patchy. I personally love jelly-finish polishes.

Overall, I really love the end result of this mani. Because I put the translucent orange OPI polish on top of the multi-coloured glitters, it gave the glitters almost a duo-tone look of green and gold glitters only. It lends this manicure a very fall-time theme instead of looking like confetti at a birthday party.

I hope you all love this look as much as I do, and I'd certainly love to hear your feedback on it. Thanks for reading, and see you all tomorrow with my yellow-themed look!

7 comments:

  1. Wow thanks for sharing this! I've seen a few different techniques but I've never seen this. I'm only 20 with a part time job and only a dog to care for an yet I don't find the time to do my nails as much as I'd like to. Mostly because it takes a while to dry and completely harden. Im amazed that you're able to do them with kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only other technique I've tried that's different from this one is using the jelly polish as a base too. Please share any others! Oh, and I use Seche Vite for all my manis! It dries in minutes! ;)

      Delete
  2. That is beautiful! The glitter polish must be "Wish upon a rockstar" which is a beautiful polish! Such a great combo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, WUARS has different sized glitters whereas this one all the glitters are the same! :) Thank you!

      Delete
    2. Oh. That's right! That's so weird, i can't find it anywhere! I tried to Google it, but nope. Maybe they forgot to put the smaller glitter in your bottle, haha!

      Delete
  3. So pretty! I love that you didn't just do a straight up orange :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'll be doing a different mani for each colour just so it doesn't get too boring to see haha!

    ReplyDelete